Monday, March 31, 2008

I am so far behind... St. Patricks day pictures and other fun

Leading up to St. Patrick's Day the kids had been talking non-stop about catching Lucky the Leprechaun. This is no small feat since leprechauns are tricky and magical creatures. We decided to build a trap to attempt to catch Lucky. Here are some pictures of the fun (and a few other pics as well)...

While I was out one evening the kids got to cut pencils...

They had a blast...

Until...


That's Kate for you... Even after many instructions on safety she still managed to cut her finger (it really wasn't big, the blood just spread).

Luckily, we had a Spiderman bandaid nearby - then all was made right with the world.

On to the trap making...

While we were doing the work Joshy got bored and began running around in circles in the living room.

Everyone was so proud of the trap... the kids did a great job with it! It was wrapped in foil because (as the kids learned at school) leprechauns are attracted to shiny objects. We added a piece of fools gold in the middle to help lure Lucky in.

The next morning Lucky had, indeed, come... there were little footprints all over the lid and inside of the box to prove it. Leprechauns must be magic though... by the time we woke up he was gone. He knew our gold was fake, but thought we were very clever so he left us a treat of gold chocolates.


Here is a little video of our trap in action...

Okay, so, on to Easter pictures next... stay tuned... Maybe someday I'll be caught up.

6 comments:

Waters said...

that little booger leprechaun! You guys were so close, to get his footprints, however is something better than Ive ever gotten.
And to think that you guys put sweat and blood (literally) into the project...maybe next year.

(my due date is Nov 12 - funny thing, Vals due date was nov 13 and her b-day is the 14th).

lexi said...

I love that Spiderman bandaids fix everthing!
I just have to say, that is the fanciest leprechaun trap I've ever seen! I'm impressed!

thekerrclan said...

Talk about creativity!

Cathryn said...

That is absolutely adorable! Can I send my kids to your house for some creative projects? Goodness, that is so cute.

Oh, and I loved the little footprints all over the "trap"!

Unknown said...

such a cute idea - and I love the little footprints!

Michelle Baird Designs said...

Jenn, I'm a little late reading your post. Just trying to keep up with life...you know how that goes. Anyways, you are such a fun mom to do these kind of things with your kids.
Live it.